Wednesday, July 11, 2012

"I'll just do it tomorrow..."


Summer gives me nothing but whiplash. I feel at once free and limited, invigorated and stagnant, relaxed and harried. After the pressure of exams, research, and deadlines, I was confident of what I would able to accomplish in the long-anticipated three months: I would finish Jane Austen’s novels and The Great Gatsby and still have time to read my favorite Harry Potter books and World Without End; I would update my resume, network through social media, and learn all that I can about the field of technical writing; I would complete all of my pressing tasks such as learning to drive on the highway, updating my license, hemming those pair of jeans…

But fast forward to the present. It’s the middle of July. And what have I done? I’ve worked eight hours a day entering data onto a computer,  I’ve steadily made my way through Jillian Michael’s 30 Day Shred and 6 Week 6 Pack, and I’ve immersed myself in stelevision shows I have very little interest in.

So am I lazy or am I just procrastinating? Or maybe I’m making excuses. I truly want to cross the tasks off of my to-do list, and I feel guilty for not having done so. Truthfully, I just cannot put my plan into action.

Needless to say, I have written nothing new this week. Motivating myself right now is like teaching a cat to do a backflip. So in the meantime, here is another previously-written piece for pet owners everywhere:


Dangerous Foods for Cats and Dogs
Let’s face it: we are all guilty of slipping our pets scraps under the table. We all know that animals like to get into things they are not supposed to—say, for instance, the garbage can. But though we may treat our cats and dogs like “man’s best friend,” the fact is we are different species. Biologically speaking, there are foods that our bodies are adapted to, but would be harmful to a cat or a dog. And these foods are common in a majority of households:

Alcohol
Alcohol can cause vomiting, diarrhea, decreased coordination, central nervous system depression, difficulty breathing, tremors, abnormal blood acidity, coma and even death.

Avocado
Avocados contain Persin, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs.

Chocolate, Coffee, Caffeine
These contain substances called methylxanthines, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and even death. Baking chocolate is the most dangerous, milk chocolate second, and white chocolate the least dangerous.

Grapes & Raisins
These can cause kidney failure, and are especially harmful for pets who already have certain health problems.

Macadamia Nuts
Macadamia Nuts can cause weakness, depression, vomiting, tremors and hyperthermia in dogs.

Milk
Pets do not have a sufficient amount of lactase to break down the lactose in milk. Therefore, milk and other milk-based products can cause diarrhea.

Onions, Garlic, Chives
These may cause gastrointestinal irritation and could lead to red blood cell damage. Cats are more susceptible, but dogs are at risk if large amounts are consumed. The low doses of these that can be found in some pet foods or treats will not cause harm, but pets should not eat large quantities of these foods.

Raw/Undercooked Meat, Eggs and Bones
Raw meat and raw eggs contain the harmful bacteria Salmonella and E. coli. Raw eggs also contain an enzyme that decreases the absorption of a B vitamin, leading to skin and coat problems. Feeding your pet raw bones may be very dangerous as pets may choke or sustain an injury should the bone splinter or puncture your pet’s digestive tract.

Salt
Large amounts cause excessive thirst and urination, and possibly sodium ion poisoning. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, depression, tremors, elevated body temperature, seizures and even death.

Xylitol
Xylitol is used as a sweetener in products such as gum, candy, baked goods, and toothpaste. I can cause insulin release, which can then lead to hypoglycemia liver failure. Initial symptoms include vomiting, lethargy, and loss of coordination. These can progress into recumbancy and seizures, which eventually lead to liver failure.

Yeast Dough
When Yeast causes dough to rise, gas could build up in your pet’s digestive system, causing pain and the stomach or intestines to rupture. This risk is lessened after dough is cooked; pets can have small bits of bread, but keep these treats to a minimum.

**Take Note!
The foods listed above are NOT the only foods that are harmful to cats or dogs. Other potentially harmful foods for dogs include: cat food, citrus oil extracts, fat trimmings, fish (raw, canned, or cooked), hops, human vitamin supplements that contain iron, marijuana, moldy or spoiled food, mushrooms, persimmons, rhubarb leaves, and sugary foods. Likewise, cats should not eat dog food, large amounts of tuna or liver, or sugary foods.

We love our pets and treat them like they are part of the family, so let’s do them a favor—avoid giving them scraps, dispose of the garbage quickly, store these foods on a high shelf or in a secure place.

If your pet has consumed a large quantity of these foods and is exhibiting symptoms, please contact your veterinarian.




2 comments:

  1. I love this! It kills me when pets get "people" food, even if it is given with the best intentions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! Minus the obvious exceptions, most parents don't cave each and every time their child begs for something. It's not all that different, or it shouldn't be.

    ReplyDelete