Tuesday, June 26, 2012

"A calzone--heart-attack on the side, please"

When you live in my house, it’s hard to maintain a healthy relationship with food. Temptation is everywhere. My dad makes UH-MAZING stromboli. It’s cheesy, gooey, and so yummy it’s guaranteed to make your heart stop. Literally. So you can imagine the torture I endure when my dad makes this delectable dish and suddenly, my well thought-out chicken and spinach salad doesn’t seem quite so satisfying.

To counter the crippling desire for a heart-attack, I have turned to this recipe for a lighter version of a calzone. It’s quick, delicious, and only requires college-level cooking skills. On days when I need to watch my sodium intake, I use mushrooms as a filler, but you could also use turkey pepperoni. Or whatever you want, really. If you want spinach in your calzone, go for it. If you want REAL pepperoni and maybe even some bacon, I envy you.

To begin, you first need to preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and gather your ingredients:


  • 1 pita pocket
  • 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, fat free
  • 1/4 cup ricotta cheese, nonfat
  • 1 garlic clove, crushed
  • handful of mushrooms, sliced
  • handful of fresh basil leaves, chopped

*Again, you can substitute these ingredients with whatever pleases your palate. The amounts of cheese may change depending on your personal preference or the size of your pita pocket.


Second, mix the cheese, garlic, mushrooms, and basil leaves in a bowl until the ingredients are evenly dispersed.



Next, fill your pita pocket with the mixture, pushing the ingredients into every corner.



Then, lay your almost-ready-to-eat calzone on a cooking sheet lightly greased with PAM. Sometimes, I dab the top of my calzone with a bit of water and sprinkle it with parsley flakes. Why? It looks fancy and I’ve heard that parsley has some extra health benefits.

Finally, bake your masterpiece in the oven for about 15-20 minutes. When it’s to your preferred level of crispiness, fill a small bowl with marinara sauce—if you so desire—and prepare to be amazed! Or at least mildly content.



**No judgments on the quality of my photographs! Hunger > aethetics

No comments:

Post a Comment